Monday, November 19, 2007

Disgruntled

So I thought to myself, now that I'm quitting St. J's, and depending on my teaching jobs, those will probably dry up. Sure enough, I had ignored a couple emails from the online diploma mill where I teach, and then the other day I get this friendly, nearly incoherent email:

Adjuncts,

This email is to clarify that I have received any documents from you concerning your Diploma Mill Inc. 2006 PPAR. Despite my attempts to remind you and contact you, we are now forced to inactivate you in our system. This will prevent you from being offered any courses through Diploma Mill Inc.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.


I hate those "dear Adjuncts" letters. (PPAR is some acronym for a form we have to fill out telling them what a great job we have been doing. I made the mistake of prioritizing responding to my students.) I would think this was a conspiracy to get rid of those who were going on their second year... if there was any associated pay increase. Which there isn't! There are no incentives for work well done. Only threats and now this. I think I've been fired! Readers, have you ever heard of a job that treats anyone this poorly? (And yes, there is a key word missing in that first sentence above--only the names have been changed, though someday soon, I may out them.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

We are pleased to announced that this blog entry has been read and enjoyed by [insert ##] friends. We encourage you to sign more friends up for blogger. Blogger is wonderful, don't you agree user.

Seriously the whole point of correspondence teaching is to make it easier for everyone involved, to make the learning fit around of the schedule of both the teacher and the student. Instead big brother has simply decided that you're work isn't up to snuff.

Were I you I'd complain and get soem grease thrown on the situation.

Seriously, can a girl get any breaks?

Isidora said...

I do plan to call her tomorrow and nag. But the problem is, the system is so opaque, I have no idea who to call to complain about her... the whole university is designed to utterly and completely disempower the faculty. It's an administrator's dream come true.

Kirk Vandezande said...

doc,

If the system you tilt against effectively disempowers professors, then is the organization really a university? What is a university without a community of free-thinking scholars dedicated to truth and learned discussion? And where is the community of scholars when one of their own is fired by e-mail for not submitting a useless form?

There is no law I can think of to prevent an organization from calling itself "college" or "university", so we should pity those who fail discriminate purveyors of diplomas from a community of thinking scholars.

Isidora said...

welcome to our brave new world