Monday, August 07, 2006

Why doesn't audio daily office work for me?

I like podcasts and books on tape. I like reading the Daily Office. I would have thought, when coming across an Episcopal church that offers a daily podcast of the Office that it would be something I could use but I can't. There are maybe two reasons. One, this guy's voice and style. I don't mind the new agey music in the background, that works a bit to counteract the cheesy Christian radio sound that he gives to it, but there's something about his slick delivery that reminds me of the lite Christian radio station back in New Jersey that I listened to in a bygone time. (It's out of Maryland, but there's no hint of the South in his voice.) I tried to get past that. After all, we are supposed to be "saying" the office, not just reading it, my tendency, when I read it alone, and wander off in trains of thoughts on various passages, or dwell overlong on some verses from psalms, shouldn't be what defines it for me as prayer. I can't control the speed when gathered with others to say an Office. And yet, and yet... when I read the words myself, I am praying them. When someone else reads it, I am listening to him pray. It's just different.

No comments: