Tuesday, June 23, 2009

old dog

They say it is good to break habits: it keeps the mind supple and prevents mental deterioration. So this switchover from PC to mac must be extending my capacity to rant about them young people for at least another three years. I am amazed at how seamless my interface with my keyboard has been. The habits so strongly ingrained that switching keyboard shortcut strokes is agonizing. The only real shift I am struggling with is using the Command (or Apple) key instead of the Control Key, and for other features, the Alt (or Option key) instead of Control. Control! Interestingly, I do feel like I've lost control. Macs determine for you what it is you want to do. If you have already made your own determinations, their choices seem a bit creepy, at times. But I am discovering some cool things. I will accomplish this and teach my hand/brain interface new tricks.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Macs don't get viruses though.

Isidora said...

Yes, and it's very nice not to have to bother with the virus blocker. They do seem to get pop-ups though.

Taking a Leap With African American Students said...

I bought a Mac, loved the concept, could not change enough to make it enjoyable so returned it.