Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Processing Brother Roger's death

I had been composing a Lectionary Meditation the other day, when I came across the news about Brother Roger's martyrdom. I had to delete my lame little draft and dwell on this horror awhile. I've never been to Taize, nor did I know him personally, so I should be like the rest of those around me here at Church, not terribly affected by yet another piece of bad news. Perhaps it's because I had recently read the book he co-wrote with Mother Theresa, Prayer: Seeking the Heart of God. and I love to sing the Taize chants we use at one of the services at our church that I have an awareness of Brother Roger's presence that had been in the world, a presence that brought some of Christ's love to so many. And he was slaughtered, like a lamb before the altar... there is always something more shocking about a murder in a church, like Romero, like Thomas a Becket, the real blood spilt upon the altar... And I see in this act the underlying reality that the demonic recoils from the face of love and seeks to extinguish it, love revealing our own unworthiness too sharply. Unlike many other progressive Christians, I think there are evil beings, and I think they are growing very active. Check out Pat Robertson's latest. Claiming to be a Christian and promulgating assassination!!?? God help us.

No comments: